Wednesday, March 4, 2009

White Rice

I love rice, and sometimes I can make it turn out fluffy and perfect.

Sometimes.


For me, cooking consistently perfect rice has been the Holy Grail of cooking. Now, thanks to this method, I drink from the sacred challis of knowledge while feasting on separate, fluffy grains of rice. I learned this no-fail, pasta preparation-like technique from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, and now it's my preferred method. (I've used a lot of cookbooks, and this is one of my all-time favorites! Check it out from your local library and see if you don't fall in love with it, too.)

White Rice

3-4 qts. water
1 Tbsp. salt
Uncooked rice

It really is like cooking pasta! The beauty of it is that with this large amount of water, you don't have to measure your rice exactly; just dump in a random amount (about 1 or 2 cups...ish), and it will turn out fine. But beware: it is all too easy to make way more rice than you need.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt, then add rice. Wait for reboil, then cook 12-15 minutes, or until rice is as tender as you like, stirring occasionally. Drain in a wire mesh sieve.

2 comments:

TheFiveDays said...

Great idea, adding all that water. I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!

Everything I've ever made from the Test Kitchen has been wonderful.

Donna Koehn said...

Rice was perfect! I must not have paid attention to that issue or watched that airing. Will ALWAYS make rice this way from now on. Am telling everyone, even Dave at Ferris Steak House, about this method. Who could ask for anything more?