Saturday, November 17, 2007

Pineapple-Almond Rice Pilaf

This recipe was born of necessity one night when I was making Hawaiian Ham Steak. What goes with Hawaiian Ham Steak? I thought. Not noodles. Not mashed potatoes. Maybe au gratin potatoes, but we eat so many potatoes as is; we need a rice dish.

Well, I have this leftover pineapple. And I love rice pilaf . . . how can I make this work?

I found a recipe for "Rice Baked in Chicken Stock" in The Joy of Cooking and modified it a bit so it would use up the remaining pineapple and also include almonds (just 'cause I love 'em.). This recipe is very easy, and mostly hands-off, once you get past the browning part. It's prefect with the Ham because its flavors won't overwhelm the Ham and complement it very nicely; also, you can begin preparing it, and in the time it's finishing in the oven, you can put together the ham dish. Nice!

Pineapple-Almond Rice Pilaf

1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 lg. can pineapple chunks, drained; quarter the chunks
1 1/4 c. uncooked long grain rice
2 1/2 c. chicken broth or stock
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. melted butter (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a heavy, lidded saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, rice and almonds to the butter and saute until onions are translucent and the rice and almonds are beginning to toast. Add pineapple, and stir to combine. Then add chicken stock and parsley, stir to combine, and cover with lid.

Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes before you remove the lid. Then stir in melted butter (optional, of course), and serve alongside the ham, pineapple, and glaze.

Pilaf serves 4-6 as a side dish.

1 comment:

Conrad's Mommy said...

Super random but I came across this recipe after searching for pineapple rice pilaf. I am making BBQ/pineapple glazed pork chops tonight and wanted a rice dish that would compliment it. To my amazement you posted this recipe on my wedding day, my husband and I got married 11/17/07, definitely going to try this rice!! Thanks for the recipe!